Beltsville, MD, March 2010 – Too much alcohol and rich food affects our kidneys, liver, stomach and small intestines, which explains some of what is happening in our bodies. Dehydration, electrolyte imbalances, gastrointestinal disturbances and disruption of sleep are some of the not so pleasant results.
Interestingly, most of the “cures” for a hangover actually add more toxins to our bodies in the form of additional alcohol, sugar and caffeine. This means they can make us feel even more spaced out, foggy and confused, which is just what we are trying to avoid. So, this holiday season why not plan ahead? Here are some tips for a speedy hangover recovery:
• Stay hydrated! Drink lots of water. Alcohol will dehydrate you (just ask any beer drinker) and then concentrate in the liver. Drink at least one glass of water for every alcoholic beverage you consume while you’re celebrating.
• Eat foods rich in antioxidants that can help combat the free-radical damage from the highly toxic alcohol by-product acetaldehyde.
• Have a breakfast with colorful fruits and vegetables for the most antioxidants and skip the deep-fried and sugarcoated foods.
• Avoid having coffee and beverages with caffeine since they can cause further dehydration.
• Take a probiotic supplement, such as Vidazorb® with Masquelier’s® OPC’s! This will help your body replenish the healthy bacteria that the alcohol may have destroyed while protecting against free-radical induced cellular damage. (It’s a lot easier to get the benefits of probiotics in a delicious chewable tablet than to swallow yogurt, kefir or sauerkraut when you are in this delicate state!)
Probiotics and OPC’s will have several positive effects:
• Vidazorb® will help settle your stomach – it’s difficult to drink even water if your stomach is upset.
• Vidazorb® will help combat nausea – enough said!
• Vidazorb® with Masquelier’s® Original OPC is especially helpful. It can aid the liver in the metabolization of alcohol thus minimizing its deleterious effects both short term (hangover) and long term (liver damage).
HOW PROBIOTICS AND OPC’S WORK
Probiotic strains, like those found in Vidazorb®, can help re-colonize healthy bacteria in the gut that the alcohol may have damaged, while antioxidants, such as Oligomeric Proanthocyanidins, or OPCs, help protect against free radical stress in the liver and the depletion of enzymatic and nutritional antioxidant defenses elsewhere in the body. Vidazorb® is full of healthy bacteria (microflora), which benefit your stomach, gut and liver by aiding in the processes of digestion,
absorption and excretion.
Some formulations of Vidazorb®, the new line of chewable probiotics, offer more supplementation to help the body recover. Vidazorb® +OPC and Vidazorb® SuperC also aid in feeling better by the inclusion of Masquelier’s® OPCs. These important phytonutrients strengthen the network of veins and capillaries that carry blood flow throughout the body while helping rid it of toxins. Vidazorb® with Masquelier’s® OPCs, is an especially a smart choice when you wake up with a hangover. You can keep the bottle next to your bed, too, as Vidazorb® formulations require no refrigeration.
Vidazorb® represents a group of superior shelf-stable, chewable probiotic formulations that provide essential support for core health needs. Research and development, together with a commitment to quality and efficacy, defines Vidazorb® as a brand of integrity and excellence. For more information, visit www.Vidazorb.com. For engaging, kid-friendly probiotic information, visit www.Zorbee.com. To learn more about the importance of, and science supporting, probiotics, visit www.YouAreWhatYouAbsorb.com.